What’s new and changed for expressions?
After Effects 17.7 (Feb 2021)¶
- Fixed: An issue where expression edits made in the Graph Editor were not applied consistently.
After Effects 17.6 (Jan 2021)¶
- Fixed: An issue that could cause an expression to be replaced instead of appending when using expression or property pick-whip.
After Effects 17.1.2 (Jul 2020)¶
After Effects 17.1 (May 19 2020)¶
- Fixed: An issue with Expression editor to auto-complete ‘timeToFrames’ function.
After Effects 17.0.5 (Mar 2020)¶
After Effects 17.0.2 (Jan 2020)¶
After Effects 17.0 (Jan 24 2020)¶
- Implemented Dropdown Menu Expression Control
- Expression Editor improvements:
- You can now use the new scrolling functionality to prevent the scroll from adjusting incorrectly when the box is resized by typing the return character.
- Prevent numbers from matching in an autocomplete list if the variable begins with a number. Smarter autocomplete prevents from overriding closing brackets and quotes.
- You can now scale font size for Hi-DPI displays.
- Graph editor now commits changes in preferences for all the open graph editors.
- If you enable syntax highlight, the folding icon buttons in the UI now respect the default and background color, or the line numbers color and background color.
- Expression performance improvements:
- After Effects now attempts to detect an expression that does not change throughout a comp and calculates the expression only once. Load your favorite expression-filled comp and experience the improved performance.
- Any expression using posterizeTime() now calculates only once for the entire comp, not on every frame.
- Added: Extended expressions access to Text properties.
After Effects 16.1.3 (Sep 2019)¶
- Fixed: Indentation of curly braces on new lines could be incorrect in the Expressions editor.
After Effects 16.1.2 (June 2019)¶
- Fixed: After Effects crashes when you close a project that has an expression containing an error.
- Fixed: Expression error messages could be truncated in the error ribbon if there were multiple lines of error text to show.
- Fixed: The property, this_Layer had stopped working when using the Legacy ExtendScript expression engine.
- Fixed: Crash with expressions that contain calls to Date.toLocaleString().
- Fixed: Crash when editing expressions in the Graph Editor expression field when AutoComplete is disabled.
After Effects 16.1 (CC 19) (Apr 2 2019)¶
- Implemented new expression editor
- Fixed: When an expression references the name of a layer in a string or in a Source Text property, the name of the layer is not returned. Instead, it returns [Object].
- Fixed: The sampleImage() expression method returns the wrong value if the post-expression value of the property is read by a ScriptUI panel.
- Fixed: Applying the createPath() expression via the Expression Language menu auto-fills the (is_Closed) parameter as deprecated snake case instead of camel caseisClosed.
- Fixed: Renaming an effect that is referenced by an expression causes the expression to incorrectly update references to that effect properties when those properties have the same name as the effect.
- Fixed: Specific complex, multi-composition expressions cause fast flickering of the expression error warning banner and icons. Note that to fix this, there is a small slowdown in expression evaluation speed for these expressions.
After Effects 16.0 (CC 19) (Oct 15 2018)¶
After Effects 15.1.2 (Jul 16 2018)¶
- Fixed: If your project contains multiple master properties by the same name, the expressions that refer to the master properties evaluate incorrectly.
- Fixed: The Property Link pick whip incorrectly writes a self-referential expression for the other selected properties.
After Effects 15.1 (Apr 3 2018)¶
- Added: Property Link pick whip
- Added: Support for custom expression function libraries
- Added: Expression access to Project
After Effects 15.0 (CC) (Oct 18 2017)¶
- Added: Expression access to data in JSON files
- Added: Expression access to path points on masks, Bezier shapes, and brush strokes
After Effects 13.6 (CC 2015) (Nov 30 2015)¶
- Improved performance of expressions on time-remapped layers. This also reduces rendering time for audio on time-remapped layers with expressions.
- Fixed: Changing the source text of a text layer no longer causes expressions to fail when the name of the text layer was referenced.
- Fixed: After Effects no longer crashes when the graph editor is displayed while processing an time remapping expression.
After Effects 13.5 (CC 2015) (Jun 15 2015)¶
- More efficient expression evaluation
- Added: Expression warning banner
After Effects 13.2 (CC 2014.2) (Dec 16 2014)¶
- Added: sourceRectAtTime() method
- Fixed: sampleImage() in an expression no longer disables multiprocessing
After Effects 12.1 (CC) (Sep 8 2013)¶
- Added iris and highlight properties for camera layers to the expression language menu
After Effects 10.5 (CS5.5) (Apr 11 2011)¶
- Added: Footage.ntscDropFrame
- Added: ntscDropFrame argument to timeToCurrentFormat()
- Added: Layer.sourceTime()